Monday 12 October 2009

Countdown begins

I had my official letter today to confirm the date offered the 11th Nov and to ring them to say that's the date i want to book my bed. I also got the date for my pre-op which is the 23rd of October. So today is the day that it finally hit me, this is real and it's really happening and there's no going back! The pain is so extreme so this decision is easy for me admittedly, but that does not mean i don't have bad nerves over this! So the countdown begins for me it's 4 weeks and a couple of days, and there's so much to do. But whatever is not done well it's tough, hopefully the family will support me and help out! (Yeah Right! I have stroppy teens not angels)
* Need a haircut (it's looking like a hedge at the mo!)
* Make sure shaving is up to date, (don't want to be the laughing stock on the table)
* Keep up with my workouts and diet to improve recovery for later
* Need to ask about equipment for the home afterwards?
* Length of stay in hospital (roughly)?
* What sort of restrictions I'll have (i.e., Sex afterwards, 90 degree rule etc....)?
* Do i need blood thinning injections?
* Will they recycle my own blood?
* Do i have to wear those fetching stockings? How long for?
* When does physio start? And hydrotherapy?
* If i have any niggles can i just ring or email them?
* What normal pains and aches can i expect afterwards?
* How long will i have crutches for? The general length of recovery for this surgery?

And probably heaps more when i think of them again, My mind keeps going blank so it's good to write them down. I do know the answers to most, but put them up for others to think about. I'm so lucky that i will have 2 other people either side of my surgery date that will be going through exactly the same surgery, which will be so supportive and encouraging, knowing i have someone to turn too and ask questions and know that they too will be going through it and know what i mean and how i feel. This is something i totally recommend, join forums that have like minded people (www.injuryupdate.com.au) as these people are priceless and i could not live without them! Good luck Janet and Sam x0x0x0x0x

1 comment:

German Shepard aka Kris said...

Congratulations! Having a date and plan has got to feel good.

Will you be having both surgeries done at the same time???