Friday 15 July 2011

DVT's PE's and Blood Clots in General.




Well I've now had my Pre-op and all is well, seems to be there are taking the past dvt seriously (thank goodess) after the BBC news peace I found, shame it wasn't screened or prevented as it should of been in the first place! Here is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14124441

I think you will find the results shocking, and depressing. We need to spread awareness of blood disorders more, especially when 25,000 deaths can be prevented. No one tells you that you will and can be forever changed after experiencing a blood clot. Most people know it can kill you, but most don't realise that some clots go symptomless (mine) for weeks and then kill you! In fact for obvious reasons the symptomless ones are the worse as it only takes one small knock to dislodge it. There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not grateful for being alive, and that it was discovered by chance at 6 weeks. By that time the clot had spread from my Pelvic cut, the join where the hip meets the pelvis down to the back of my ankle. It only started to swell ad get painful down near the ankle, prior to that the thigh was badly swollen anyway from the surgery, and it was painful behind my knee which was tendinitis which dvt's have the same symptoms as.

If I had been given the correct tablets and stockings at the hospital I know it wouldn't of got that bad. But in saying all that I understand that I'm young, likely to recover quicker (before we found out I've got EDS Type 3, that explains the slow healing now) and be mobile quicker, so resources would be better on an elderly patient and not me. But I didn't heal, Blood was thick and I got the dvt within the first night of hospital. After finding out that stockings alone can prevent a dvt 100%, this has driven it home that every patient should be getting them, even if in bed for one night, anything that makes them sit down for longer periods than normal and exercise or walk less needs these stockings. You can even find funky ones at www.happyhealthylegs.co.uk run by a funky young lady, which has suffered herself with dvt's and has to wear these compression stockings all day every day.

So campaign and campaign and more campaigning is the way forward. Get it trending on Twitter and hope some people are made more aware. DVT is NOT something you ever ever want to suffer with, as you will do exactly that, SUFFER if you LIVE!








No comments: