Sunday 22 January 2012

DVT awareness

Yep it's happening again, or at least we think so, I certainly think so. The old familiar pains are back and I'm worried it's a clot again. Thursday night it reduced me too tears, it was so painful and I was too worried for words, so I took aspirin for peace of mind and put my Compression Tights on too.

Friday morning we went down to the GP's as soon as possible, as soon as it opened actually and he listened to what I had to say, He sent me for a Blood test to see if that was positive or negative and if positive I would need to go to get a scan. Off to the Hospital we headed out, this is a massive ordeal on crutches. The Hospital and GP both said I would get the results back in a few hours time.

Queue hardcore worrying waiting time, I rung the GP's to find out what would happen next. I was only given the most appalling service, I was told it would be Monday earliest for a result, as I was dreaming if I thought it would happen earlier and how dare I suggest it!! I told her what it was about and what the GP had said, and she said well we haven't been told anything and there's nothing I can do. Perhaps you should ring the Hospital yourself? WFT?? I cried and cried and i don't care admitting that, if anyone has had one or knows about DVT's it's like a timebomb waiting to go off, this clot could break off at anytime and kill me, thats right KILL me!

I rung the Hospital and they said that unfortunately it would be Monday morning for the results, I told her it just couldn't be as it's about a DVT and it was marked Urgent, the results had to be done today. Finally she said, well you will have to get your doctor to ring for the results as they could not give them to me directly. Nightmare, this means I have to ring that Receptionist again? How will I ever get through to the GP? Surely she wont be helpful as she wasn't half hour ago.

I plucked up the courage to ring, and calmed myself down enough too as well, I got ready to give this Receptionist hell if needed. But thankfully I got another Receptionist who said immediately well I will ring the hospital for you, get the results and let the GP know and once he has decided what needs doing then I will ring you back. How was this not offered before? Why couldn't the other Receptionist be lovely like this one. Finally I felt listened too. She rung back and said it had come back at 770 so it was a positive and I needed to get to A+E immediately to get a scan.

I get there in Half hour, it's 4.30pm Friday evening and I explain the GP has sent me because of my pains my history and the blood test results, and I need a scan straight away. I sit down and wait my turn, I get called in really fast, shocking, and it's just to check in more detail before the scan to be told there was NO WAY I was getting a scan on Friday Night, I would have to wait until Monday!!! They said the only thing they could do was give me some Clexzane injections to make the clot stable and go back on Monday. If I hadn't known that all they could do after a scan is put me on injections and then Warfarin then this could of freaked me out. But thankfully I did know, and although miffed and peeved I said ok. They tried to weigh me for the dose, but the scales wouldn't switch on, so I said to the Male Nurse I know how heavy I am, i said I'm 10st 13 or 153lbs and the Cheeky Bugger said wow thats heavier than me! WTF??? What gives him the right to say that? I do have issues that I'm overweight, I don't like my body, But quite frankly I'm terrified my clot is going to break off and KILL me, and I'm currently healing from broken pelvis and femurs, so losing weight while on crutches is NOT my top priority right now.

So from being humiliated and made to feel really small and a thorn in people's sides. I have finally got home with 2 injections to do myself and 1 they did at A+E. Knowing I have to go after the weekend. I put on my OWN compression tights from HappyHealthyLegs as no-one mentioned them, or offered any advice in any way shape or form! They didn't even give me a sharps box to put the used needles in!!

Shambles NHS and I'm Peeved to Hell

No comments: