Thursday 14 July 2016

Post Depo Medrone Injection Day, what happened?! #Hip #Op #Lidocaine #Spoonie

Wow that injection was totes different this time round, so different to 2011,2012 ones. I got to the hospital at 12 noon so I had 30mins to grab a coffee. I had this in the canteen, (as I did not want to be one of those peeps I detest, that come into Admissions with food and drink, when you've starved for hours) so that was a new experience for me, actually drinking before the procedure.
Merely sat down for 25mins and I was called through (super fast) I'm so used to hours and hours waiting. I said my farewell to my parents, who had brought me to ROH.
They checked height and weight ( so much weight!!) And through into the ward, I got my fancy RED bracelet. Red for allergies. But this was my BIG shocker, no need to remove clothes, I can wear what I've got on!! Really?! Then was told NO sedation, eek, started to worry then.

Read a bit of my book, watched others get called up, and walk back to ward after 10mins, so its super quick, and they didn't look too bad, so I relaxed a bit.
At 1.40pm it was my turn, fire alarm set off (workmen I believe) but how loud was that, with flashing lights!? I got onto the bed, freaking out now, there was one nurse and the doctor Mr Politis. I pulled trousers down, was covered up with hip exposed. Of course I had a fancy arrow on Op Leg.

First came the Marcaine, to numb the skins surface area, it was cold, it tickled, it was weird. Then expected sharp needle but not too bad, I relaxed, for about 2seconds... Omg!! The tubey needle thing, wiggled and danced like a devil up the vein, and scratched the boney joint. I felt weird, it hurt, but was weird feeling more, very very unpleasant. I jumped a lot, so the nurse had to hold my hands, felt like a baby, but bitch that hurt a fair bit!! The injection itself was Depo Medrone (Steroid) and Lidocaine (another numbing anaesthetic) though I didn't feel numb.


Once over.. Didn't feel quick in there compared to the 10mins out there. Here the 10mins dragged.. But once through, I got up, and had to wiggle joint, do a few hip flexion, hip abduction to work steroid into joint. And then I had to walk back to the ward. Each step was limpy and awkward but not as bad as I imagined.


Felt a bit traumatised and shell shocked, think because it hurt so much more than I thought. I got a coffee and bourbons, and it was 1.50pm wow really was only 10mins.

So afterwards I was told to wait around for 20mins, see if any after effects came out, drink and eat to prove I'm ok. So I contacted my parents to come and fetch me. And by 2.30pm I was in the car ready to come home. 

After that drive, the early start, and no sleep the night before, I literally crashed out, I slept long and hard and it was so needed. I had to take Codeine for the pain, but I was comfortable enough to sleep all night.

No comments: