Tuesday 10 March 2009

Getting ready.

Well i've decided to give myself the best chance possible for the recovery period after surgery. So it's out with my weights to help my upper body strength, as thats my weakest point, and i'm using my eplictical trainer for the legs, as somehow this is easier on my hips than actually walking. And i could lose some weight, as it's amazing how much can creep on while your recovering from surgery, or from just being immobile. I've bought some hospital slippers and i've got around 4 months to spring clean my house ready for my recovery. So i feel more mentally ready than before, and hopefully i'll be more physically ready soon too!

3 comments:

SHC said...

Don't worry about the weight, crutching takes much more work than regular walking...in other words, you will get your work out later!

Do strengthen the upper body some BUT be careful...you do NOT want to strain anything and make post-op crutching problematic.

Your date will be here before you know it!

GOOD LUCK!
SHC

German Shepard aka Kris said...

Debbie, THR post-op crutching is weight bearing as tolerated. You won't be using crutches in the way you think. Your crutches will be used to aid in balance and weight bearing - you'll be using your op-leg from day one after surgery. It's still a workout, but not like you think.

Debbie said...

Thanks guys, i do understand it won't be as bad if i have the THR on crutches, but wanted to be prepared for him to say PAO instead. And i have let things fall by the wayside while being so immobile which isn't so good!!
Hope you guys are both recovering well but doing it slowly as you don't want to ruin it all xx