Thursday 12 March 2009

Walking

Well due to Hubby being ill i've had to do the school runs, which is 1.2 miles walk each way. So been doing 2.4 miles each day for the last 2 days ( as i only do the end of school run!) and although it's hurt quite a lot,i've felt better in myself. As the more you stay in and do little to save your hips from hurting, the more you feel ill and old and it's very depressing. So it's good for the soul to get out and blow the cobwebs away, even if it does hurt for a wee while afterwards!

I've started going on my eliptical trainer again for 30 mins at a time, and even though it's a walking motion it doesn't hurt the joints as much and it's far less painful than the real thing, so i highly recommend this for anyone with arthritis and are recovering form surgery.

I seriously think i need to buy a cane, for the longer journeys and just in case, so i hoping to buy a foldable one, so i can slip it into my handbag when it's not in use.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caved about 2 months before my surgery and bought myself 2 canes. Of course, being a total girly-girl, I wasn't going to settle for just anything.

www.fashionablecanes.com.

Go there - they have thousands of canes at all price points. If you go to my blog and look in my archives under "Ambulating", you'll find a post with a picture of one of the canes I bought - iridescent pink shaft (adjustable) with a pink & white lucite handle! I also got the same one in black & white - folding.

They weren't expensive and they were a godsend in my last 2 months before surgery. As I progress from crutches to a cane this time, I will be using that pink one with great pride!

oscarsmum said...

Go for it , you will find it really helps. The more you use it the less self conscious you feel too.Just read your comment on my blog about how similar we are,freaky eh?
I think we will really keep each other going over the next few months,
your hip twin, lol x

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

A good UK site for walking sticks in funky colours (gutted that I know this but hey ho) is

www.switchsticks.com

I also got a collapsible black one from Boots which is pretty handy as I travel a bit and it's quite lightweight.

I definitely had a real mental block about using a stick and initially preferred am elbow crutch especially in work situations but it does get easier.

Dee