Wednesday 25 November 2009

Home for a week

How fast has that gone!? In that time i've gained confidence with crutches and moving around. But i do live in a Bungalow so i have it easy. The whole putting your own knickers on has done my head in, but finally after hundreds of attempts i have cracked it, But socks can go to hell. I doubt i'll be able to do socks for a long time, but i expect that.
The pain has been controlled with oxycontin and paracetamol, but last night they ran out. So back on the old Tramadol with some para's and surprisingly they have been working so far. I feel a deep ache but no sharp pain, nor does it kill like before.
So far the right hip pain has gone except for standing for too long, but the pain felt then is simply tired pain, and the lower back ache has gone for now too. So already i'm feeling so positive about this surgery.
Last friday i had a dressing change which doesn't bother me, i don't really know why i was sent to a nurse when i could of done it myself. But she liked it and it does put your mind at rest when they say it looks good, and neat. She was shocked with how many staples i had in each wound. The hip wound is 11-12 inches and have a staple in per each cm, and the bikini one is 7 inches with staples per cm too.
Had to have them removed today (25th Nov) and i was terrifed to be honest. I took the torture medieval device the hospital gave me, and everyone said they would ping out. Not so, the nurse said these were different to the normal ones and it was a good job i brought the device myself as they wouldn't of had one. She did every other one for me as the sensation made me sick and faint. The pain is a stinging pain so not bad in itself, but the tugging of the wound really knocked me for six. Once i was lying down it was a lot better, but she still only took half out, as she said there was too many for me to handle being took out in one day. (Thank you i needed the break from that sick feeling) So i do have to go back tomorrow for the rest out, but least i know what to expect now and i will lie down first, instead of standing like before. Hopefully i won't feel so sick or faint then.
On Friday 27th Nov i have physio/hydrotherapy so i will let you know how it goes, looking forward too it as well as being bit scared. I know he'll push me quite hard but he promised he would rehab my right hip also as i explained that, that one has never recovered it's strength or stamina since that surgery.

3 comments:

German Shepard aka Kris said...

Wow - great progress! Having the staples out is always a big deal. Glad your nurse gave you some time to deal with it before plunging ahead.

Sounds like things are going well - I'm so happy for you!

oscarsmum said...

You're doing great! You will feel heaps better tomorrow after the rest of the staples are out. If you can have hydrotherapy you will feel fantastic. I first had it two days post-op and although its tiring it feels great (though wierd, and scary to be able to walk without aids in the water).
Sounds good that you are able to work on your right hip too.
Proud of you!
Kate xxx

Sam said...

Debbie, you are doing fantastically well! I can't believe its been 2 weeks already - hasn't that time flown by. It sounds as though this has already been a sucess for you, I'm so pleased, you will soon be hip pain free and back to having a life again :-) Sam xxx