Friday 11 December 2009

Hydro therapy

I had Hydrotherapy again last Tuesday 8/12/09 and because we got there a bit late, i only got 15 mins of the session. It took us over an hour and a half to get there for that! So i must admit i pushed myself hard ish. The whole time though the joint felt good, as did the tendonitis too, so i never pushed it until it hurt me, just until i was tired. Haven't got any sessions now until after Christmas i think, just got an appointment for my X-rays on the 22/12/09 to find out whether can go down to one crutch, i've got my fingers crossed that i can. But i also expect him to say No as my recovery could take 50% longer than most standard TPO's.
I finally left the house for a trip to the shops rather than just to doctors and hospitals. And it felt great, Yes i was slow at walking but we went to a quiet area of town. To get some fresh air in my lungs did me some wonders, only managed around half a hour ish to get some Birthday presents but i think for a first trip out that was plenty. Around the house i'm getting more confident, which sometimes goes against me as you get cocky and accidentally put your heel down to heavy, and have shooting pain! Thankfully it hasn't happened much and the pain doesn't last for more than a second or two.
I still have a frame around my toilet but it's more for added extra help than necessary help now which is good, so i'm going to return it on the 22nd Dec. As i'm sure someone else will need it more than me. I can't believe how much i've changed in ability in four weeks, i'm pretty amazed. But due to my last surgery having worked for a few months then the pre op pain returning, i'm keen to take this slowly and not rush it too much as i wouldn't want to ruin the recovery of this surgery and put myself back to square one.
Leg is still numb in the thigh area but that is too be expected, although feels weird when you have an itch! Lol and my skin is soooooo dry i'm having to moisturise my legs every morning and night with coco butter as the skin is so thirsty. Maybe this is due to surgery or the water at Hydrotherapy? As i've have never had that problem before. All in all i'm a chappy lass and already i would do the surgery again if i had that vile pre op pain. Fingers crossed this really has sorted out my right hip and my lower back, just by having the left realigned. Now all i need is my left leg to shrink as it's still 1cm longer than the right.

2 comments:

German Shepard aka Kris said...

The hydrotherapy is very drying to the skin. If your pools there are anything like they are here in the States - they are so doused with chlorine it will also rot your bathing suit. Seriously - I lost a fave when I went thru hydrotherapy before my THR. If you have time, do a search on the Internet for chlorine resistant bathing suits. There are many to choose from.

So if it can rot a bathing suit, imagine what it's doing to your skin. Use a good moisturizer with Shea Butter. That will help alot.

Keep up the great work - getting close to being on one crutch is such delicious freedom!!!

Debbie said...

No way Louise, i was hoping it would go down by 24 weeks. Hope yours does soon chick. How's your recovery now sweetie? xx

Thanks for the advice Kris, shocking that it's rots a bathing suit!!!!! no wonder my skin is as dry as hell xx