Thursday 21 January 2010

Exercse and DVT's

Now i've since found out that it's good really a good idea to combine the two, as a jolt may make the clot unstable and it may break off. It really shouldn't if your on medication but with some many differing opinions i rather just try and stay safe and alive, so i wont be doing anything that may jolt it. (There goes my table tennis matches on the Wii) Swimming and walking is very good for dvt sufferers but as i'm not really doing either there's no hope for me.
Although saying that i did have Hydro which was lovely, i was terrified for sure to be honest as so many people would say it was safe then others that sid definitely don't do it. But i was torn to do it as i really need to rehab the leg, i mean i can't just let it hang there for 6 months doing nothing can i?? So they all said i'd be alright if i co slowly and stop if i feel any pain.

Well it was great and the rom i have is out of this world to be, the exercises were lovely and although they kick my *ss and hurt me for a few days, i love doing them as i feel like i'm progressing them. We discussed me being able to go to the gym once i have the all clear from O'Hara and my x-rays, so i'll be crossing my fingers for that.
The therapist said to me that DVT's are really common and affect a lot of people, well if thats the case then why couldn't we get better preventative treatment, or even be offered it in my case? Then surely they wouldn't be so common, and cost the NHS less in the long run!!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Fantastic comments ladies, and i agree we are not proactive enough and need to push the info about clotting forward so paitents can make better choices. Saying that though i knew the risks etc and even kept asking about the injections to do at home, i was concerned that they didn't want me to do them. Nor was i given the stockings either to prevent and these are simplistic measures that should be given to all.