Friday 2 March 2012

Tribunal and the Treatment of the Disabled

Had my Tribunal on Friday and feel like i can only just now speak about it. I got there after a nice clear road and parked in their disabled parking spot which is actually all the way round the back, they do this to watch you on their camera's to see how you get out of the car and to see how far you can walk without stopping etc... I finally get in after taking about 7mins to walk around the slalom path of uneven and crooked slabs, (nice if your in a wheelchair and not so hot with crutches)

They do a metal detector all over you and you have to empty pockets and finally your inside, the chairs are really low (so ask if you can get a higher one if you are struggling to put hips pass 90degrees). The Clerk came out to see us and told us the papers wouldn't be excepted as it was too late for them. My Case worker was rung up the day we got the date, we got that on the 15thFeb, she only works 3 days a week and you have to get ALL evidence in a week before the date. Impossible when they only give you 2 weeks notice in full. They complained the paperwork was dated and not current, I couldn't get new letters off surgeon in that amount of notice.

I had 2 women, I knew i was in trouble at that point, the Doctor one just then systematically ripped me apart. The issue of getting a job is so much harder than if you already had a job to go back too. For starters what employer is going to take you on knowing you can't walk much, sitting down too long hurts just as much and you need countless days off for physio and hydro and more surgery coming up. I understand some do and can. But i felt i couldn't as i'm drugged up to the eyeballs everyday without fail, and i've not left the house by myself for just over 2yrs now. I can't wait to be able to get back to work, Nothing would give me greater pleasure, i miss it and i miss the social interaction. I can't even handle shopping and i LOVE that.

Anyways they go on to humiliate and embarrass you, by making you go through every little detail, Like going to the toilet, bathing, dressing and housework. i understand this that they have too, but not in the accusatory way she went for me, I ended up feeling like the shi*test mother there is. She said you must be cleaning the house (I'm not the kids and Hubby do their best, i operated the cooker, but never dish out, i operate the washing machine but don't fill it or empty it) So i broke down and cried my heart out a lot! Very embarrassing as i had no intention of doing that.

Didn't get an answer there and then so that generally means you've failed the tribunal. My choice now is to go further up the chain and have all money stopped to clear my name and prove i can't work. Or start a fresh claim and the tribunal would of won that battle and think they were right and i am lying! At the moment i'm FIGHTING as i have to remember those that can't and don't for fear and intimidation. It was overwhelming for me, who has support who has friends and a case worker to help, What of those that don't? I fight for them.

2 comments:

Louisa Weeks Browning said...

That is an absolute disgrace - jesus they could look up the condition and understand where you're at. I can not even imagine how shit you must have felt. They should be ashamed and I sincerely hope you got thru and never have to be subjected to that again!

Debbie said...

Thanks hun, i have thankfully passed, but who knows how long for as they can recall you up after a month, 6 months etc... whenever they feel like it really.